Samples. Writing integration to assess understanding. As you can see in the pictures, these resources have been sized to fit in your student's science notebooks. The writing activity is the only one that sometimes I like to post around the classroom
Before Reading. We all know that honesty is the best policy. But sometimes the truth hurts people's feelings. In âLike the Sun,â a schoolteacher is determined to be ... Love of English. Born in southern India, R. K. Narayan. (nÃ¤-rÃ¤QyÃ¤n) is wid
(This is the line of symmetry). *Diagonals are not congruent. Parallelogram. â A quadrilateral with both pairs of opposite sides parallel. â Opposite sides and ...
In this lesson you will study a type of logical statement called a conditional statement. A has two parts, a hypothesis and a conclusion. When the statement is written in the âifâ part contains the and the âthenâ part contains the. Here is an
Was It Just? EV. Overview: One of the world's oldest sets of laws was written by Hammurabi ... 2011 The DBQ Project ... murabi's thoughts of war gave way to thoughts ... Background Essay Questions. 1. How many centuries ago did Hammurabi live? .... L
Alabama in Example 6. Î¤ The laws of logic help you with classification. ... Chapter 2 Reasoning and Proof. To write the inverse and .... If the car is running, then the key is in the ignition. 18. If you dial 911, then there is an emergency. 19. If
supremely ambitious goal of a crusade "to make the world safe for democracy." Brandishing the sword of .... president proved to be a mortal and not a god, the resulting disillusionment both at home and abroad was ..... slow progress and severe losses
Using Probability formulas and Working Backwards. Mutually Exclusive: P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B). Independent: P(A, B) = P(A) â¢ P(B). Overlapping: P(A u B) = P(A) ...
Combating AIDS App. â¢ Print off the Combating AIDS App pages for each student. (There is a brainstorm sheet and a final copy page.) â¢ Students should create a new app that will slow down (or stop) the spread of the AIDS virus in Africa (Have the
Three Branches of Government. WebQuest. Executive Branch. Click Here to Answer Questions #1-9! 1. Who is the leader of the Executive Branch of government ...
Volume of Pyramids. Name___________________________________. Find the volume of each figure. Round your answers to the nearest whole, if necessary. 1). 10 yd. 6 yd. 8 yd. 8 yd. 2). 4 m. 4 m. 4 m. 3). 4 yd. 6 yd. 9 yd. 4). 5 m. 3 m. 4 m. 5 m. 5). 10 f
Assignment: Pretend you are an illustrator working for the fictional magazine WORLD. NEWS ILLUSTRATED. You have been ... Read each summary and draw a magazine cover to illustrate the topic. Be sure to use color to make the ... This was the beginning
Citizens have the right to be safe in their houses, their belongings, and their persons against unreasonable searches and seizures. If the government wants to search anything, they must have a search warrant which tells what they are looking for and
Gizmo Warm-up. To survive, an organism must be able to maintain stable internal conditions in a changing environment. This process is called homeostasis.
Of the objects below, circle the ones you think would float in water. Rock . Cruise ship Quarter Saturn Beach hat? 2. Why do some objects float, while others sink? Gizmo Warm-up. The Density Laboratory GizmoTM allows you to measure a variety of objec
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) Strings of holiday lights can be designed in one of two ways. In some strings of lights, each light is connected to the others along a single wire (in series). In others, each light is atta
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) 1. List three objects that you think would sink in water, and three objects you think would float.
tube, pollination, self-pollination, sepal, stamen, stigma, style. Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) 1. How may insects help a plant ...
1: atomic number, atomic radius, Aufbau principle, chemical family, diagonal rule, ... bus) with the Electron Configuration GizmoTM. To begin, check that Lithium is selected on the PERIODIC TABLE tab. sitornfi. 1. The 3 E is equal to the number of pr
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) Beth has to choose which trail to hike. Trail A is 3 miles long, all uphill, with an elevation ...
Pay off high interest credit card balances and auto loans. â Discuss tax benefits of keeping low- interest mortgage. As the eldest son, how do. I help my siblings get the financial guidance I know they now need? â Meet with Andrew and siblings to
translate the contents of a bank into algebraic expressions,. â¢ symbolically combine the contents of several banks to conceptualize combining of like terms, and. â¢ develop an understanding of the distribu- tive property by considering the content
inquiry mindset elimination of bias. Even though he had repeated his studies using thousands of pea plants, and applied statistics to analyze his findings, ...... Could there be more than one dominant gorilla in a troop? No. So what happens if there
Prior Knowledge Question (Do this BEFORE using the Gizmo.) A chromosome is a rod-shaped structure made of coils of DNA. Most human cells have 23.
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) 1. How are you similar to your parents? __________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ How are you different? ______________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ 2. A trait is a characteristic. Think about your physical traits (eye color, skin tone, height, hair, face, allergies, etc.) What traits do you think you inherited, or received, from your parents? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ Gizmo Warm-up In the Inheritance Gizmo™ you can create and breed aliens on an imaginary planet. Select Asexual reproduction. During asexual reproduction, a single parent produces offspring (children). 1. Click Create alien and create your own alien. Describe its traits in the Parent row of the table: Alien
2. Drag the parent over to the Parent 1 space and press Reproduce. Fill in the Offspring traits on the table above. What traits appear to be inherited from the parent? _________________________________________________________________________ Because this offspring inherits its traits from one parent, it is called a clone.
Activity A: Inherited traits
Get the Gizmo ready:
Select Sexual reproduction. Drop all remaining aliens (if any) in the Exit hole.
Question: Are all parental traits inherited by offspring? 1. Observe: In sexual reproduction, two parents pass traits to the offspring. Create and breed a variety of aliens. Record your observations on a separate sheet of paper.
2. Form a hypothesis: Which traits do you think are passed down from alien parents to their offspring, and which traits are not? Explain. ______________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ 3. Experiment: Set the Food supply to 2 bushes. Create two identical parents with thick bodies, green skin, curly antennas, and triangle tattoos. Make two offspring and record their traits in the table below.
Offspring 1 Offspring 2
4. Analyze: Compare the offspring traits to the parent traits. A. Which traits were passed from parents to offspring? __________________________ B. Which traits were not passed down? ______________________________________ Traits that are not passed down (not inherited) are called acquired traits.
5. Investigate further: Create offspring with a few different levels of Food supply. How does food supply affect the body type of offspring? _________________________________________________________________________
6. Think and discuss: Suppose a human child had a mother with dyed-pink hair and a father who was missing a finger (lost in an accident). Would the child inherit these traits? Explain. _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
Get the Gizmo ready: Activity B:
Clear all parents and offspring from the Gizmo by
dropping them into the Exit hole. Create a green alien and a pink alien.
Question: How is alien skin color inherited? 1. Predict: What do you think the offspring of a green alien and pink alien will look like? ______ _________________________________________________________________________
2. Experiment: Test your prediction with the Gizmo. What did you find? __________________ _________________________________________________________________________ When offspring show a mixture of parent traits, the traits are called codominant traits.
3. Predict: What do you think will happen when you breed two green-and-pink spotted aliens? _________________________________________________________________________
4. Experiment: Follow the steps below. (You may have already done the first step or two.)
Place a green alien and a pink alien in the locations for Parent 1 and Parent 2. Breed these parents twice. Drag both offspring to the spaces below the Nest. Drag the two green-and-pink offspring up to become the new Parent 1 and Parent 2. Breed these aliens 10 times. Record how many times each skin color occurred in their offspring. (For example, if there were 2 green offspring, write “2” below “green.”) Skin color
Green and pink
Number of offspring
5. Analyze: Look at the results of your experiment. A. What kind of skin did most of the offspring have? ____________________________ B. Did all of the offspring have green and pink skin? ____________________________
6. Think and discuss: For a codominant trait, do the offspring of identical parents always look like the parents? Explain your answer. _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
Get the Gizmo ready: Activity C: Antenna shape
Clear all aliens by dropping them into the Exit hole. Create two aliens – one with straight antenna and one with curly antenna.
Question: How is alien antenna shape inherited? 1. Predict: What do you think will happen when you breed an alien with straight antenna to an alien with curly antenna? _____________________________________________________
2. Experiment: Test your prediction using the Gizmo. Create at least 5 offspring. What did you notice? ___________________________________________________________________ 3. Analyze: Sometimes when two traits are combined, one is a dominant trait and the other is a recessive trait. If both traits are present, only the dominant trait is seen in the offspring. A. Which trait is dominant, straight antenna or curly? ___________________________ B. Which trait is recessive? ___________________________
4. Investigate further: Take two of the straight-antenna offspring and breed them together to produce 10 new offspring. Record the antenna type of each offspring. A. What happened? _____________________________________________________ B. Did the recessive trait disappear? ________________________________________ C. How can a trait skip a generation? _______________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________
5. Draw conclusions: For a dominant/recessive trait, do the offspring of identical parents always look like the parents? Explain. ___________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
6. Compare: How do the offspring of two parents that reproduce sexually differ from the offspring of a single parent that reproduces asexually? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________