nonfiction/Science. 8 Scholastic Action | March 24, 2014. Scientists recently found a treasure trove of bones from woolly mammoths like this one. LeXiLe 600 ...
galaxy: a very large group of stars. NONFICTION. 4 Scholastic Action | November 16, 2015. BRIAN SCHUL. TZ (ALIEN); INIGO CIA/FLICKR/GETTY IMAGES (BA ... in the universe. Experts are using high-tech tools to search faraway planets for signs of life. T
Find the value of c that makes the expression a perfect square trinomial. Then write ... Graph an equation ofaparabola x = - t y2. ... Identify the focus, directrix, and axis of symmetry of ..... In the followiNg ~
and had a loving family. it is ï¬lled with memories and dream imagery that are horrifying to both lshmaei and the reader. ... "These days, i live in three worlds: my dreams, and the experiences of my new life, which ..... 123 - "Our job is a serious
1. catastrophic (cat-uh-STROF-ik) adjective; If you say that something is catastrophic, you mean that it is extremely harmful. (Catastrophic is the adjective form of ...
Relational operators (Excel) Used to compare two values. Operators include =, , =, . ROUND function Changes a value by rounding it to a specific number of decimal places. Sorting Arranging data in a specified order. Spreadsheet model A worksheet cont
HTML The file format for documents viewed using a browser. ... Numbered list List created with each item as a separate paragraph ... Formats a paragraph with a hanging indent and inserts a bullet and a tab to create a bulleted item in a list. Found o
primary vertical axis that describe the chart data. Bar chart Data graphed as a series of bars. Category The division of data within a series. Category labels Text displayed on the x-axis. Chart A visual representation of worksheet data. Chart Area T
Chapter 7 Math Notebook. Name: Chapter 7 Title Page/Vocabulary. ______. Equation Vocabulary Anchor Chart. ______. Recognizing Operations Anchor Chart.
Himalayas. Gangetic Plain. Ganges River monsoon tropical cyclones jati. British raj. Gandhi. Indira Gandhi megalopolis reincarnation. Karma cottage industries.
4. neural (NYUR-uhl) adjective; relating to or affecting the nervous system example: Neural hearing loss occurs when there is damage to the nerve that carries messages from the inner ear to the brain. 5. propeller (pruh-PEL-ur) noun; a set of rotatin
fur coat, green striped socks, and a cowboy hat. 4. regime ... Directions: Complete each sentence in a way that makes the meaning of the boldface word clear.
Making Mistakes. Before social media gained popularity, Pat might have simply shouted his comment after the game: Only the people in his immediate vicinity.
scholarship: money given to a student to pay for school mental: having to do with the mind. Get More at Action Online! ... fast,' â says Cromwell. Running Numb ... A serious illness causes this teen runner to collapse after every race. But that ...
PAIRED TEXTS: âIs This You?â and âIn China, the Test that Determines Your Lifeâ. SKILL: Vocabulary Acquisition. SCHOLASTIC SCOPE ACTIVITY â¢ MARCH 2014. Vocabulary: âIs This You?â Directions: Read the following definitions and example se
DRAMA: The Golden Curse, pages 11-15 . April 2015. Name: ' Date: Vocabulary: The Golden Curse. Directions; Read the following deï¬nitions and example sentences. Then add two more words from the play. 1. Httl'll'l StiC (al-troo-IS-ti k) adjective; ha
Write a sentence or two explaining the concepts you learned in the Module related to each term. 1. abutment. 2. arch. 3. civil engineer. 4. compression.
genetics. The scientific study of heredity trait. A characteristic that an organism can pass on to its ... If an offspring (child in humans â kitten in cats and puppy in dogs) receives two of the same genes ... Record the kitten's coat colors and p
Darjeeling (dahr-JEE-ling) noun; a type of black tea grown in the Darjeeling region of ... example: Each afternoon, Ms. Griswold enjoys a cup of Darjeeling and a ...
May 5, 2014 - â¢vOcAbulAry Quiz. â¢Activity: inferences. â¢3 reAdinG ... Page 2 ... bsg ans/c hic a go Tribune (b o. TT o. M. ) âBut I learned a lot from my parents ...
and âIn China, the Test that Determines Your Lifeâ. SKILL: Vocabulary Acquisition. SCHOLASTIC SCOPE ACTIVITY â¢ MARCH 2014. Vocabulary: âIs This You?â .... C Everyone in the movie theater cheered when the detective caught the criminal. D Aft
1. defy (dee-FYE) verb; 1. to boldly resist or refuse to obey; 2. to challenge or dare someone to do something example 1: I don't dare defy my grandmother. If she tells me to stop texting, I stop! example 2: I defy you to find a more delicious sandwi
For the first time in history, top scientists are saying it's very likely that other living things exist in the universe. Experts are using high-tech tools to search faraway.
NONFICTION: “Attack at Sea,” pages 4-10 December 2015/January 2016 ®
Vocabulary: “Attack at Sea” 1. c laustrophobic (klawss-truh-FOH-bik) adjective; Claustrophobic can be used to describe a space that feels cramped and confining. In a small, dark, stuffy room, you might open the windows to make the room feel less claustrophobic. You can also use claustrophobic to describe the way someone feels: If someone is uncomfortable being in small, enclosed spaces, you could say that person is claustrophobic.
2. h ull (HUHL) noun; A hull is the main body (the sides and bottom) of a boat or ship—the part that floats in the water. The dry outer covering of a seed or fruit is also called a hull.
3. h ypothermia (hahy-puh-THUR-mee-uh) noun; If a person has hypothermia, his or her body temperature is dangerously low. Someone may develop hypothermia after falling into ice-cold water or sleeping outside on a cold night without warm clothes.
4. i ngenuity (in-juh-NOO-ih-tee) noun; If you have ingenuity, you are clever and inventive. You have ingenuity if you figure out how to turn an old sweater into a laptop sleeve or create a successful business selling homemade dog treats.
5. m unitions (myu-NISH-enz) noun; Munitions are equipment and supplies used by the military, such as weapons and ammunition.
6. o ptimism (op-tuh-MIZ-uhm) noun; If you have optimism, you have a positive attitude—a habit of expecting everything to turn out all right.
7. o pulent (OP-yuh-luhnt) adjective; Something that is opulent is fancy and expensive; it displays wealth in a showy way. An opulent living room, for example, might be decorated with expensive furniture, crystal vases, velvet curtains, and antique rugs. An opulent display of food would feature heaps of super-fancy stuff—fine cheeses, rare fruits from around the world, shrimp, steak, lobster, dozens of desserts . . . you get the picture.
NONFICTION: “Attack at Sea,” pages 4-10 December 2015/January 2016
Directions: In the space below, list any other words from the text with definitions you are unsure about. For each word, use context clues to try to figure out the meaning. Then look up the word in a few different dictionaries. Discuss the meaning of the word with your teacher or another adult. Then write a definition for the word and one example sentence.
Directions: Use a word from the word bank to fill in the blank in each sentence below.
1. I don’t share Gina’s ___________________ about the game tonight. I think we are probably going to lose.
2. The mountain climber who was trapped in a snowstorm was treated for frostbite and ___________________.
3. Surprisingly, the ___________________ hotel never seemed to have many guests. 4. After the explosion in the abandoned cave, authorities discovered that the military had once used the cave to store ___________________.
5. The boat’s name, Esperanza, is written on its ___________________ in fancy lettering.
6. After spending 10 minutes looking for his ball in the ___________________ crawl space under the house,
Jason decided to let the spiders have it. 7. This game includes tons of features I’ve never seen before. I’m impressed by its designer’s ___________________.
Directions: Identify the word or a form of the word from the word bank that has the same, or nearly the same, meaning as the boldface word or phrase in each sentence. Write each word on the lines provided. Not every word in the bank will be used. 1 8. The factory produces supplies for the military.
1 9. The Snyders live an extravagant lifestyle.
110. Kyle’s hopeful attitude is beginning to rub off on me.
111. T ara has tremendous creativity. She’s always coming up with new ideas for solving problems.
112. Ira is very hates small spaces, so he always takes the stairs instead of the elevator.